We, at Showcase Properties Sdn Bhd are proud to finally see the coming into effect of the much anticipated Personal Data Protection Act, 2010 (“Act”) in Malaysia,. We always believe that your information is as important to you as it is keeping it private and protected. This Notice will serve to inform you of your rights with regards to your personal data that has been and/or will be collected and/or obtained and/or received and has been and/or will be processed by us whether in the past, at present or in future.
Your personal data and sensitive personal data collected and/or obtained has been and/or will be processed by Showcase Properties Sdn Bhd, including but not limited to its subsidiary(ies), its related or associated company(ies), its joint venture partner(s), including all its shareholder(s), its director(s), its employee(s), its authorized agent(s), its contractor(s) and/or its permitted person(s) (“we”, “our”, “us” or “Company”).
1. Nature or Description of Personal Data Collected
We collect and process various personal data about you for the purposes of providing advice, administration and management services, which are explained in more detail below. “Processing” is defined in the Act but could include obtaining, recording or holding information or data. “Personal data” is information which can identify you as a living individual or a body corporate, including where used in conjunction with other information and can include photographs or voice and/or video recording. Common examples of personal data which may be collected and used by us in our day to day business activities include:
- date of birth;
- marital status;
- address (office or residential);
- telephone number and other contact details (including email addresses);
- job title; and
- bank account and other financial details (only if necessary or required).
In some cases, depending upon the types of products, properties and services you require, the information collected and processed by us may also contain or include “sensitive personal data” for the purposes of the Act, which includes those personal data held by us as to:-
- your ethnicity or race;
- your religious beliefs;
- your financial standings and/or creditworthiness.
Any such information we receive fairly and lawfully relating to one of the above categories constitutes sensitive personal data. Examples of likely items which may contain sensitive personal data (although this is not an exhaustive list) may include the sale and purchase of property(ies) under the class of ‘Bumiputra’ lot(s) or Malay Reserve lands.
Please note that similarly with “personal data”, you have the freedom of choice as to whether you wish to provide us with sensitive personal data. In addition to your right to request that we stop processing your personal data and sensitive personal data at any time, you have an opportunity at the end of this Notice to choose not to provide sensitive personal data to us at all. You should, however, note that if you exercise this right, or subsequently request that we stop processing all or part of your personal data and/or sensitive personal data, this could impact upon our ability to provide you with certain types of products and services, and may ultimately result in us being unable to provide them to you at all.
2. Purpose of Collecting and Processing Personal Data
Your personal data collected and/or obtained will be processed by us for the following purposes (the list below is not exhaustive and may from time to time be subject to change by us):
- the delivery of notices, services or products to you;
- to enable you to enter into the necessary agreement(s) and/or contract(s) to purchase product(s) and/or property(ies) from us (for real estate customers only);
- user or customer relationship management procedures;
- those purposes specifically provided for in any particular service or product offered by us including direct marketing;
- credit assessments and other background checks of users as we may determine to be necessary or appropriate;
- our internal record keeping;
- collection of outstanding payments from clients and/or customers;
- prevention of crime including but not limited to fraud, money-laundering, bribery;
- meeting any legal or regulatory requirements relating to our provision of services and products and to make disclosure under the requirements of any applicable law, regulation, direction, court order, by-law, guideline, circular, code applicable to us or any of our member companies;
- vacant possession, keys handover, property/estate management, customer care and/or defect rectification works;
- conducting marketing and client profiling activities in connection with our services and related products;
- for research, benchmarking, and statistical analysis purposes;
- to enable us and/or our selected authorized third parties to send you information by e-mail, telecommunication (telephone calls and text messages) or via social media concerning related and unrelated products and services offered by us and our business partners which may include but is not limited to the abovementioned purposes which we consider will or may interest you.
(the aforesaid are collectively referred to herein as “Purpose“)
3. Source from which Personal Data is collected
From time to time, we may retrieve, collect or obtain your personal data from various sources including but not limited to:-
- Booking forms (hardcopy or via online), registration forms, application forms (hardcopy or via online) and/or inquiry form(s) which you have submitted to us;
- Agreement(s) which you have signed;
- From your registration of your interest or subscription for information on our products and/or service(s) or to our publications (for example newsletters and brochures) or through our social media pages (for example Facebook pages, Instagram and Twitter);
- From your participation in any of our surveys or promotional offers;
- From your response or feedback to any marketing materials we send out (for e.g. via our email or in hardcopy);
- By commencing a business relationship with us (applicable to joint venture or business partner(s) or third party vendors); and/or
- When you visited our offices or roadshow(s) /property(ies) expo(s) and event(s); and/or
- By voluntarily distributing your business or name cards, business proposal or any other materials relating to your identity and business directory(ies) or listing(s) that you have subscribed in sharing your information and so forth.
4. Disclosure to Class of Third Parties
Your personal data and/or sensitive personal data collected and processed by us generally will be kept private and confidential. However, you hereby agree to give us your consent and authorization to disclose your personal data and/or sensitive personal data, as the case may be, to the following third parties:-
- Our associated and/or related company(ies) and/or subsidiary(ies), at present or future establishment;
- Our shareholder(s), director(s), employees, authorized agent(s) and/or any other permitted person(s);
- Our appointed business partner(s) which includes online business affiliates, retailers, distributors, vendors;
- Our auditors, accountants, Valuers, business consultants, lawyers, bankers, contractors, Interior Designer firm(s) or other professional advisers and/or consultants which we deem necessary and appropriate;
- Our third party property management(s) or agent(s) or advertising, promotional and marketing companies, enterprises and/or partnerships or entities;
- Any other person(s), body(ies) and/or authority(ies) to whom we are required under law including government agencies (whether federal or state), statutory authorities and industry regulators.
5. Consequences of failure to provide Personal Data or Accurate Personal Data
It is obligatory for you to provide all the categories of personal data which we request from you. Any failure to provide us with your personal data or accurate personal data and your consent to the same, will in all likelihood:-
- result in us being unable to carry out the Purpose for which it was intended for as spelt out at Clause 2 above;
- hinder or hamper our opportunity to reach out to your targeted audience or business prospects, present or future;
- result in us being unable to provide you (i.e. customers/prospective customers) with the information, notices, services and/or products requested;
- affect the ability of the parties to enter into the necessary Sales and Purchase Agreement in relation to the sale of property; and /or
- result in us becoming unable us and/or our selected authorised third parties to send you information by e-mail, telecommunication means (telephone calls and text messages) or via social media concerning related and unrelated products and services offered by us and our affiliated business partners which we consider will or may interest you.
To comfort any concerns you may have, we assure you that we shall keep and process your personal data and/or sensitive personal data in a secure manner. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that such information is kept confidential. We do not and will not sell, rent or trade your personal data or sensitive personal data. Where practicable, we will endeavour to implement the legally mandated and/or appropriate administrative and security safeguards and procedures in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations in order to prevent the unauthorised or unlawful processing of your personal data and/or sensitive personal data and/or the accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data and/or sensitive personal data.
7. Data Transfer & Sharing
In addition, you will appreciate that the nature of our business, products and services are such that it may be necessary, where we deem it appropriate, for the purposes of data storage or processing or providing any service or product on our behalf to you, to transfer your personal data and/or sensitive personal data to our affiliates and/ or associated companies and/or third party service or product providers within or outside the country in which we are established, under conditions of confidentiality and similar levels of safeguards.
8. Your Rights
8.1 Right of Access to Your Personal Data
Subject always to payment of the prescribed fees, where applicable, you at all times have the right to request for access to and/or correct your personal data and/or limit the processing thereof on the following grounds:-
- To ascertain whether your personal data and/or sensitive personal data is being process by us for or on your behalf;
- To ascertain the particulars of the personal data and/or sensitive personal data which is being processed by us;
- To request from us a copy of your personal data and/or sensitive personal data which is or has been processed by us;
- Request that we specify or explain our policies and procedures in relation to personal data and the categories of personal data processed by us.
8.2 Right to Limit Processing or Withdrawal of Personal Data
In furtherance to Clause 8.1 above, you at all times have the right to request to limit and/or withdraw the processing of your personal data and/or sensitive personal data by:-
- Requesting that your personal data and/or sensitive personal data is retained by us only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected; or
- Requesting that we withdraw, in full or in part, your consent given previously, in each case subject to any applicable legal restrictions, contractual conditions and a reasonable time period.
Should you have any information